St. Charles County, MO Assault Defense Attorney At Roach Law, we have the best St. Louis assault defense lawyer to handle your case. Assault crimes are by far the most common violent crime in Missouri. Under Missouri law, an assault can happen under all types of circumstances and can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. If you have been charged with assault it is important that you consult with a St. Louis assault defense lawyer to protect your rights. Missouri Assault Laws – Third Degree Assault Assault in the third degree is normally a Class A Misdemeanor punishable up to one year in jail and $1,000 fine but can also be charged as a class C misdemeanor if the assault involves threatening another with immediate bodily injury and or assault involving offensive or provocative contact. Third-degree assault assaults normally involve minor injuries which require little or no medical attention. If the assault involved more serious injuries or if a weapon was involved you are normally charged with felony assault. Missouri Assault Laws – Second Degree Assault A person commits the crime of second-degree assault, which is a Class C felony, if he or she:
- Attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to another person under the influence of sudden passion arising out of adequate cause; or
- Attempts to cause or knowingly causes physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument; or
- Recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person; or
- While in an intoxicated condition or under the influence of controlled substances or drugs, operates a motor vehicle in this state and, when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to any other person than himself; or
- Recklessly causes physical injury to another person by means of discharge of a firearm; or
- Operates a motor vehicle and acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to any person authorized to operate an emergency vehicle, while such person is in the performance of official duties.